Friday, June 20, 2008

My neighborhood?

It's been a while since the last photo of the week. A coworker encouraged me to start going on nightly walks. This last Tuesday evening I went for a walk at the Orange Circle and stopped to take some pictures at the center fountain. From far away I could hear the sounds of a harmonica and it was coming from a lady playing at the fountain. As I approached I could see a small group of homeless people hanging out there. Turns out they were all friends. I started photographing the lady at the fountain. They all started jumping in front of the camera. They weren't exactly always friendly with eachother as they would often cuss eachother out and argue over a bottle of beer. One guy stopped to talk with me for a little while. He started showing me some card tricks and I was pretty impressed. After a little while it dawned on me that I was interacting with homeless people and it should have been a social no no. Lots of people go on walks through the Orange Circle and just pass by these guys. They're out there almost every night. They had some interesting stories to tell. Most of them served in Vietnam as sergeants and lieutenants. One guy served in the first Gulf War. It made me wonder what they were doing out there. Anyhoo, here's some of the pics. It's a little out of my style (as though I really have a style) to be hanging out with homeless folks, but they became friends as I just hung out.

Enjoy






1 comment:

Jen Miskov said...

Looks like the Orange Circle. I miss that place. Looking good John, keep rockin with the photog. stuff,
Jen